Monday, March 30, 2009

apple cake recipe



I had half a dozen apples in the fridge. The recipe was very simple, used only one egg, so easy to substitute the egg. The cake came out very well. It was very moist and fluffy, but over the top sweet. The original recipe used 1 cup sugar and the apples I used were sweet too, so the cake became very sweet. So I have changed the recipe to 3/4 cup of sugar. I was wondering what to do with the cake, then got this (wonderful) idea. I was not sure whether it would work, but I was totally surprised and happy with the result. Check the My Notes section to see what I did. But this apple cake recipe is definitely a keeper for its easy prep and unbelievably moist and fluffy texture for a vegan cake.
Integration
Butter, softened (I used Earth Balance - 4 tbspns) 3 tablespoons
Sugar 3/4 cup
Ener-G (in place of 1 egg) 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Water 2 tablespoons
Soy Milk (if using Ener-G) 3 tablespoons
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
All Purpose Flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour) 1 cup
Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Ground Cinnamon (I used 1/4 teaspoon) 1/2 teaspoon
Ground Nutmeg (I did not use) 1/2 teaspoon
Apples, peeled and diced (I grated it) 3 cups
Nuts, chopped (I used 1/2 cup walnuts) 1/4 cup
Whipped cream/Ice cream optiona

No comments: